Content distribution network (CDN) is a large distributed system of servers which are deployed in multiple data centers across the Internet. CDNs serve a large fraction of the Internet content today. This include Web objects like text, graphics and scripts, or downloadable objects such as media files, software, documents, or applications like e-commerce, portals, live streaming media, on-demand streaming media, and social networks. The goal of a CDN is to serve content to end users with high availability and high performance. CDNs also offload the traffic served directly from the content provider’s origin infrastructure, resulting in cost savings for the content provider, besides its better performance and availability.
Most important security issue is that CDNs provide the content provider a degree of protection from Denial of Service (DoS) attacks by using their large distributed server infrastructure to absorb the attack traffic. The most famous example today of using the CDN is that the need for some library to build a traditional website. For example, better performance can be achieved when loading a jquery.js library from a CDN, such as the one provided by Google. CDN provides high bandwidth and high performance content delivery.
An increasing number of Internet network owners have built their own CDNs to improve on net content delivery, reduce demand on their own telecommunications infrastructure, and to generate revenues from content customers. Most CDNs are operated as an Application Service Provider (ASP) on the Internet which also known as on-demand software or software as a service. Some larger software companies such as Microsoft build their own CDNs in tandem to their own products. Examples include Windows Azure CDN and Amazon CloudFront, there are many benefits for using CDN, such as:
- Fast using a network of edge locations around the world.
- Simple, a single API calls lets user get started distributing content from CDN to any other applications.
- CDN is designed for use with other custom Web services.
- Cost effective, through scaling user requirement, user pay only for the content delivered through the network.
- Elastic, users don’t need to worry about maintaining expensive Web server capacity to meet the demand from potential traffic spikes for their content.
- Reliable, CDN is built using highly reliable infrastructure, the distributed nature of edge locations used by CDN automatically routes end users to the closest available location as required by network conditions. CDN constantly monitors and optimizes for both availability and performance.
- Global CDN uses a global network of edge locations, located near your end users in the United States, Europe, Asia, and South America.
OneHoster is one of the best web hosting companies in Egypt, we offer many web hosting packages in Egypt and middle east like, cPanel storage hosting packages, cloud hosting, domain registration, dedicated servers solution, Email hosting, WordPress hosting, web hosting upgrades and hosting renewals to suit your requirements to host your website for small and medium sized businesses. OneHoster is also one of the top 10 website design companies, and top 10 digital marketing companies in Egypt and Middle east.“OneHoster’s Team”